Vanitas Still Life

As I was having breakfast over at my Grandmother's place today,the phone rang.After a few moments of silence my grandmother said,what's the matter.This was followed by "I shall come in a few hours".It turns out her uncle has died.Her brief words were "My uncle died.He was really old.He was 90".This made me think about the transcience of life and how death is viewed in the from a personal point of observation.As if in old age nature's aparatus functions in a way to help you come to piece with death.The older you are the more frequently you recieve such news and the more you expect them.I was really surprised at my grandmothers calm reaction to the phone call at first.Even though he was old,he was still a close relative.
Her reaction didn't mean she felt no grief.Oh,no.That was just an event she expected,and in her expectance she slowly came to peace with the death of her uncle.Or maybe she just gradually came to peace with natural death with every such call she recieved and every one of the latter kind she expected to recieve.And in the proccess of coming to piece with the unpreventable demise of loved ones,surely one comes to peace with the one fact known about him/her at birth.But is that a better faith I ask you?Dying of old age,or as some people reffer to it-natural death.I am certainly not afraid of death-that would be pointless.But there something woefull about natural demise.At least for me.Death might be promissed to you but certainly one should not end his life jurney in expectance of his own end.And even sadder it is when others manifest this expectance when thinking of you.
I think it matters not when you die in terms of age.Every human beign has a mission-personal or altruistic,worthy or unworthy.And I think this mission,goal,aspiration,obligation or however you label it is what perscribes meaning to ones life.If you have lived your whole life with no meaning,the you just wait for death your whole life.Or more commonly, maybe for some reason this mission has not been achieved until a time when your organism simply wears out,leaving one incapable of doing what he/she believes must be done.I know I have a mission and if I don't acomplish it my old age will be a prolonged agony.And if I do.....well,if I do I will surely find another one,but never will I let myself or others arround me linger in expectance of the inevitable.
PS:My grandmother left shortly after breakfast.

Edit:The same thing happened a week later.The ractions were the same.The situation was remarcably simmiliar.

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds